Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I don't want to know anything about your peanuts

I do not consider myself to be shy, or prude, or modest for that matter.  I can talk about any topic under the sun.  I mean, I have a degree to prepare me for these sensitive subjects (does a degree still count even if I haven't used it ever?).

However, nothing has prepared me for the constant and unwavering obsession my 3 year old has with his "peanuts".  I should start by saying I always swore I would teach my children the real words for their body parts.  But really, how can you not fall in love with the words they come up with themselves.  So back to my original point.  So he's obsessed with his penis and wants to talk about it constantly.  We've worked hard to at least focus his personal attention on it to bath time (mainly in an effort to keep his hand out of his diaper).  So bath time is basically his favorite time of day.  I like to tell myself it is because he loves to be clean and fresh and splash.  I'm pretty sure it is because he gets 15 minutes of uninterrupted time without me telling him to keep his hands out of his pants.  So anyways, the other night he asks "Mom, is my peanuts really big?".  To say I was speechless is more than an understatement.  How the hell do you answer that kind of question??  Those are really the times I wish Big Daddy was in charge of his bath time.  So here I am.  What do I have to do to get through this stage?  I don't want him to feel like curiosity and knowledge of your own body is a bad thing.  I don't want him to feel like he's being bad.  But for the love, I don't want to have to talk to him about his "peanuts" either.  I'd like to be blissfully unaware of its presence.  Can't it work that way?  

Oh and how completely unfair is it that Baby K is now discovering her lady parts.  Every diaper change is like a really absurd hog tie.  I somehow must manage to hold her legs and hands, do the typical cleanup, re-diaper and dance a jig to keep her distracted.  


No comments:

Post a Comment